This is a fun and festive way to serve this salad for entertaining. Rather than mix it all together and serve it in a big bowl, I like to make it into skewers, alternating layered of each of the ingredients.
2 wooden skewers
2 1/2-inch thick slices French bread, cut into 4 cubes
4 cherry tomatoes
1/4 red onion, sliced
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
2 fresh basil leaves
2 bocconcini mozzarella balls
1. Soak skewers in water for 10 minutes.
2. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium heat.
3. Take one skewer and add a piece of cubed bread, followed by a cherry tomato and a piece of red onion. Add another tomato, pice of onion and a piece of bread. Repeat with remaining skewer. Drizzle skewers with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place skewers on grill and cook for about 5 minutes, turning so each side of skewer gets cooks. Remove from grill and set aside.
4. In a small bowl, combine vinegar with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
5. At end of each skewer, add a piece of basil and one bocconcini ball. Drizzle skewers with vinegar mixture and serve.