Flank steak is one of my favorite cuts to grill (or broil) because it cooks in very little time. You can adjust the level of spice as you like, leaving in the seeds from the jalapeño will definitely make it spicier.
1/2 pound flank steak, trimmed
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
Cooking spray, for greasing, optional
Spicy Arugula-Pistachio Pesto
1 cup fresh arugula
2 tablespoons unsalted pistachios
1 small clove garlic, roughly chopped
1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed
1/4 cup freshly grated Manchego cheese
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 small tomato, diced
1/2 avocado, diced
1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh cilantro
1. Preheat grill pan or broiler to high heat.
2. Season steak with salt and pepper. Grill steak on each side for 5-8 minutes, until desired doneness (5-6 minutes for medium rare, 7-8 minutes for medium). If using a broiler, place steak on a rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and coated with cooking spray.
3. While steak cooks, make pesto. Place arugula, pistachios, garlic, jalapeño and cheese in a food processor and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Slowly stream in 1 tablespoon lime juice and olive oil and process until smooth.
4. In a small bowl, combine tomato, avocado and cilantro. Add remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
5. Remove steak and tent with aluminum foil. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Slice steak across grain and top with pesto. Serve along with avocado and tomato salad.