This is actually a really easy recipe to make and it’s total comfort food on a cold night (use a store-bought rotisserie chicken to save even more time). Look for puff pastry in the freezer section of most markets.
1 bone-in breast of chicken, with skin-on
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 carrot, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
3-4 ounces puff pastry (1/4 of one package), thawed in refrigerator for 1-2 hours
1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Place a 16-ounce soufflé dish on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet and set aside.
2. Place chicken breast on another baking sheet and coat with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast for 30-35 until cooked through and juices run clear. Remove and set aside. When cool enough to handle, remove chicken meat and dice into bite-sized chunks (discard skin and bones). Set diced chicken meat aside. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat chicken stock over low heat.
4. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add carrot and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add onion and cook for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add flour and stir until incorporated, about 2-3 minutes. Slowly pour in stock, a little at a time, stirring constantly. Cook for about 5 minutes until sauce is thickened. Add cream and stir to combine.
5. Add diced chicken, peas, parsley and thyme and allow to heat through, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer mixture to soufflé dish. Brush outside edge of dish with egg wash. Place puff pastry over top of filled dish, allowing to overhang about 1-inch. Press down to adhere and trim off any excess. Crimp edges of dough to form a nice edge all around dish. Brush top of pastry with egg wash and cut a few slits into top of pastry dough. Season with salt and pepper and bake for 20-25 minutes, until top is lightly golden brown.