This is a modified version of a traditional aioli, which is usually made with egg yolks.
3 large scallops
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
Zest and juice from 1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon capers, drained and finely minced
1 tablespoon finely minced flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
Zest from 1 lemon
Juice from 1/2 lemon
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
Decorative toothpicks, for serving
Micro greens (arugula), for serving
1. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
2. Remove any rough, crescent-shaped muscle from outside of scallop and discard.
3. In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon oil, lemon zest and juice, capers and parsley and set aside.
4. In a food processor, combine mayonnaise, garlic, lemon zest and juice and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl and refrigerate, uncovered, until ready to serve.
5. In a medium bowl, combine scallops and remaining 1 tablespoon oil and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Place scallops on grill and cook for 3-4 minutes until a good sear has formed. Turn scallops and cook for another 1-2 minutes until cooked through. Set aside to cool slightly.
6. When scallops are cool enough to handle, cut a slit horizontally through center of scallop, taking care not to go through to other side. Add a small dollop of lemon aioli inside of each, close up scallop and top with a another small dollop on top. Continue with remaining scallops. Place scallops on a serving place and skewer each with a toothpick. Drizzle with lemon-caper sauce over tops of scallops and garnish with micro greens around plate.
Serves 1.Pin It