It’s important that the chicken is pounded out a bit before you begin rolling it so that it’s as close to the same thickness all around as possible. This makes it easier to roll later and allows it to cook evenly as well. To do this, place chicken breast between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and lightly pound with a mallet or rolling pin, until nice and even and about 1/4-inch thick. When finished, remove from plastic wrap and proceed with recipe.
1 boneless breast of chicken
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
1 thin slice prosciutto, cut in half
2 fresh sage leaves
Flour, for dredging
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine
2 tablespoons low-sodium chicken stock
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus extra for drizzling
1. Lay chicken breast on a flat surface and using a sharp knife, cut in half lengthwise by gently inserting knife about halfway through chicken breast and continue to slice all around until cut open in half. By making chicken into thinner pieces allows you to roll it up better and allows it to cook quickly. Season each piece of chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Place 1 slice prosciutto on top of each chicken breast, gently pressing to adhere. Roll up chicken, ending with seam-side up. Place sage leaf over seam and attach with a toothpick to secure both sage leaf and seam.
3. Spread flour on a plate and gently coat all sides of chicken.
3. In a medium sauté pan, melt butter and oil over medium-high heat. Carefully add chicken, toothpick-side down, and cook for 3-5 minutes until lightly browned. Turn chicken on its side and cook another 3-5 minutes. Continue cooking until all sides are browned. Transfer to a platter and cover to keep warm.
4. In same pan, add wine to deglaze pan and scrape up browned bits from bottom of pan. Add stock and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until sauce thickens slightly, about 2-3 minutes. Carefully remove toothpicks from each piece of chicken and place on a serving plate. Pour sauce over chicken and drizzle with additional lemon juice and serve.